I'm Looking for...

Receive the latest Council Updates



In accordance with the Food Act 2003 any person wishing to sell, store, transport or handle food for sale (includes charitable and community events) must obtain registration under the act before commencing operations. To obtain registration an applicant is to complete the "Notification of a Food Business form", this form is to be forwarded to Council's Environmental Health Officer, who will forward an "Application for Registration of a Food Business".

Food Act 2003  is a Act to ensure the provision of food that is safe and fit for human consumption and to promote good nutrition and for related matters

For further information please contact Derwent Valley Council's, Environmental Health Officer on (03) 6261 8525 

There are many food businesses located within the Derwent Valley Council area, including community and charity organisations, restaurants, hotels, cafes, bakeries, supermarkets, child care centre, nursing home and hospital.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers (EHO’s) are involved in conducting routine inspections of these businesses to ensure compliance with the Food Act 2003, Food Regulations 2002 and Food Safety Standards as well as to provide advice and guidance on food safety to business owners.

What is a food business?

A food business is any business that handles or sells any type of food for sale, with the exception of some primary industry activities. Manufacturers, restaurants, take-away and supermarkets are clearly food businesses. Less obvious food businesses include bed and breakfast establishments, food stalls at fetes, cold stores, and service stations that sell packaged food and food provided under a contract of service such as supper served at a dinner dance or lunch served at a staff canteen.

Starting a food business

All food businesses are required by the Food Act to officially notify Council before commencing operation of a food business or when ownership changes by means of completing and submitting a Food Business Notification Form. This information will ensure Council has correct and up to date contact details, location and the nature of the food business. The Food Business Notification form is only required to be completed once, unless the details of the food business change.

Council also strongly recommends that you seek advice from an Environmental Health Officer on the fit out of any food business before undertaking any upgrades of premises to ensure that your works comply with requirements of the Food Safety Standards.

The scenarios below will assist in determining if Food Business Notification Form is required.

Routine food inspections

Routine food inspections conducted by Environmental Health Officers involve an assessment of areas including:
  • Receipt of food
  • Storage of food
  • Processing of food
  • Display of food
  • Packaging of food
  • Transportation and distribution of food
  • Recalls/food disposal
  • Health, hygiene and knowledge of food operators
  • Condition and hygiene of food premises
If you require assistance to interpret sections of the Food Safety Standards, please refer to the Safe Food Australia as a guide or further information regarding food safety can also be obtained by contacting Environmental Health Officer on 03 6261 8525.

Food inspection fee

Under section 11 of the Food Regulations 2002, Council’s can impose an inspection fee for the carrying out of any food inspection or audit. Please refer to the Schedule of fees and charges. Please Note: Council do not charge for inspections of temporary food premises and non for profit organisation.


Where serious offences under the Food Act 2001 occur, Environmental Health Officers have the power to take any necessary enforcement action. Enforcement in which EHO’s can take include issuing expiations for non-compliance with the Food Safety Standards ($500-$2,500), as well as serving Improvement Notices ($750 expiation for non-compliance) and Prohibition Orders (closing food businesses) on food businesses.

Food Stalls

If you would like to have a food stall on the street  You need to complete a Food Business Notification Form and a Temporary Food Permit Notification Form. Unless your stall is for a charity or fundraising organisation, there is a $5.00 fee for your stall that you pay when you lodge the form. 

If you wish to run an event with food and other stalls on private land you will need to complete an Event Organiser Temporary Food Event Notification Form and ensure all food stall holders complete a Food Business Notification Form. There is no lodgement fee. 

Home Activity

If you would like to prepare food at home for a sports event, community event or charity event you need to decide if you are selling the food, or are the people you give the food to selling it as part of an event? For example, a meal included in the event cost? 

If you are not charging for the food it is not regulated by the Food Act or Council. However, you still have a general duty of care under the Tasmanian Public Health Act to ensure the food you give away does not make people ill.

If you are selling the food you need to complete a Food Business Notification Form. 

Accomodation Business

If you would like to open a B&B will you be providing food as part of the accomodation, or are you providing self contained accomodation where the guests buy and prepare their own food? 

If it is self contained it is not regulated by the Food Act or Council.

If you are providing food you will need to complete a Food Business Notification Form so your B&B can be correctly classed and your details recorded. There is no lodgement fee.

A A A|
Derwent Valley Council
The Derwent Valley Municipal area is characterised by its ever growing rural townships, green hills and river valley environment. Major features of the Derwent Valley municipality include its land and fresh water resources.
Contact Council
Circle Street
PO Box 595
New Norfolk Tas 7140
Fax: 03 6261 8546
Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:15am to 5:00pm
(Closed on Public Holidays)